Sunday, August 8, 2010

BUSY BUSY BUSY!

We got to Henrico last Friday and wondered why we hurried to leave Utah. We ran into some problems with our apartment and also didn't have our things so we had a completely empty, smelly apartment. We went to Walmart and got a puzzle which was our main entertainment for I think about 3 days. I got frustrated easily and definitely didn't work on it as much as Ben and Brandon. I enjoyed a couple naps, playing on the computer, and reading a little more than trying to put together the tough puzzle we had chosen.

On Tuesday our apartment complex put an ozone machine in our apartment to get the smoke smell out which means we had to leave the our empty apartment for 2 full days and nights. We decided that this meant it was time for a visit to D.C. We started the trip on Tuesday morning but heading to the D.C. temple in Maryland. After that we headed to the hotel (thanks Lori for the hotel!!!) we would be staying in for the night to change out of our church clothes. The remainder of the day included our first ride on the metro, several Smithsonian museums, the capital building, and the Washington Monument.

The next day we were up early for another day of D.C. We went to some more Smithsonian Museums, Arlington Cemetery, The World War 2 Memorial, and a walk past the White House (too tired to walk up to it). I have to admit I was a definite party pooper on a lot of this trip. I had no idea that we would be walking so much and that I would be so hot! Ben and Brandon definitely had to drag me around! Brandon surprised me a lot. He didn't seem tired AT ALL!! After a full day we drove back to Henrico and that night a nice family in our new ward that has been a lot of help to us let us stay at their place.

On Thursday we finally went to get our things from the semi that brought our things from Utah. Brandon and and Ben lifted all of the heavy things and I helped with anything that didn't weigh too much. We were allowed back into our apartment at 12 and unpacked the rest of the day. Friday was a lot of unpacking also. Brandon went home and I started to miss his work ethic. He really worked so hard the entire time he was with us. I think he unpacked more of my things than I did!

Friday Ben and I went to dinner and then had new friends over for a movie. Saturday we woke up early and went with a large group of couples from our new ward to the beach. The beach was very breezy and felt good. The water was a little cold for me. Ben decided to throw me in so I wasn't very happy with him for a bit :P Saturday night we went with some friends to a cool outdoor amphitheatre where we saw a free play. The play was called Pippin and was surprisingly entertaining. It was a little crude which definitely reminded us that we are not in Utah anymore!

We are having a ton of fun. We have made a ton of friends so far. There are at least 5 first year med students in our ward so it looks like there will be a lot of support for Ben. Ben starts school tomorrow and I plan to start the job search. We have a very busy week ahead with Ben at school all day long and every night his school has dinners planned for us. Lori and Harold get here Wednesday and will be our first guests...minus Brandon who arrived with us :)

These boys/men got our things into 6 ft of space!!

The D.C. Temple was beautiful

We went to the World War 2 Memorial and officially claimed Virginia...
We loved the beach...I sat in the sun...Ben looked for the shade.

2 comments:

  1. My family and I went to DC in July several years ago, and I remember being SO miserable in that heat and humidity as well. I don't blame you for having to be dragged around! The sites are really cool to see though!
    Glad you guys are settling in OK and that you're already meeting new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting couple of weeks you have had! I am so excited to come for our visit! Love your blog ~ please keep it up.

    ReplyDelete