Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Charlottesville, VA

This last weekend Ben and I decided we would head to Charlottesville, VA to go see Monticello (Thomas Jefferson's home). Everyone ranted and raved about the Michie Tavern near Monticello so we figured we would give it a try. Look at the picture below. We waited in that line for an hour. The food did prove to be delicious but I think if I ever see that line again I probably won't wait.


After eating we headed to Monticello and apparently October is their busiest time of year because we bought a tour for many hours later. This gave us lots of time to look around. The weather was beautiful so we didn't mind too much. You can see the leaves starting to change :)

Can you imagine how big this tree must have been?!


Thomas Jefferson wrote A LOT! I think I remember them telling us he wrote over 20,000 letters in his lifetime. Ben decided if he had to write the way Thomas Jefferson did he probably wouldn't have even written 1.


After we had looked around at everything there was to see other than the tour of Thomas Jefferson's house we still had an hour and a half till our tour started. Ben decided to sweet talk the old lady in charge of getting the groups together and she let us slip into an earlier group. I was so embarrassed/annoyed that he was going to try to sneak in but his big white smile ended up paying off :)

Monticello

3 comments:

  1. I want to go! There was a reason you married Ben---for all that charm. Looks like a great trip! You guys need to take a trip north- I hear the weather, food, lodging, drive, etc. is out of this world! It's great to see updates on you guys- keep them coming!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Monticello! And it looks so gorgeous there in the fall! It sounds like you had a lovely time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! I <3 the East Coast. SO much History!

    ReplyDelete